If you are a follower of our blog you well know by now that I am a children’s book nerd. I love all kids’ books…even love those without words. How can that be, you may ask, I am a speech-language pathologist, after all?! Words are my life!! Well, it can be because WORDLESS PICTURE BOOKS entice more spontaneous language in kids and encourage language development in ways that pre-written stories that are simply read to them can’t.
So what language learning advantages lie between the pages of wordless picture books?
1. Spontaneous language – wordless picture books allow kids to tell their own story about the pictures they see. While doing this they are practicing sentence formulation, sequencing and naturally, storytelling skills!
2. No reading level required – Wordless picture books are “readable” for all kids no matter what their reading level.
3. Attention to detail – Because there is no predetermined story line, kids are more likely to notice details in the pictures to add interest to their story.
4. Interpreting and inferring – Again, without words to tell them how characters are feeling, wordless picture books require kids to infer details from the pictures like characters’ emotions.
5. Infinite options – Wordless picture books can be a new book with a new story each time a child picks it up. This encourages creativity, imagination and flexible thinking.
Here are a few of my favorite wordless picture books. Check them out and open up a world of language and storytelling possibilities for your kids!