Regret is an unusual place. I try not to visit it often and rather choose to go with the motto of trying my best each day – with the encouraging promise of starting over and over again daily. However, in working with infants and toddlers, it’s hard not to want a few “do overs” with my own kids. Sometimes that means baby gear. What I would have done for a nursing cover! A stuffed animal that played a heart beat! And Sofie the Giraffe…don’t get me started. But stuff is…just stuff. Memories are so much more. And for me personally, memories of playing with my daughters are the most precious. In that department, the place where I’d like a do over is — PINTEREST! Oh what I could have done with Pinterest! (Or maybe what I would not have done IF I had Pinterest then! Milestones & Miracles could easily be on that list!) What kind of Pinner are you?
I’m not a true “crafter.” I don’t have a crafting room. I can’t stand to follow the directions or watch a tutorial for a “pre-made craft.” I don’t crochet, knit, or sew (not even a button). I don’t line things up symmetrically or color inside the lines. I gave up paper scrapbooking for the ease of a printed photo book years ago. But I do like to create…especially for fun. Lacy & I have both loved learning and sharing through Milestones & Miracles Pinterest Page, and our Pinterest feedback tells us – there is a great deal of interest in PLAY! (wahoo – yipee)
Our online feedback also tells us that you – our super awesome audience – are more than likely, a) a parent, b) a therapist, c) a childcare provider, and/or d) working somehow in early education. WE KNOW what that means – you might have a super huge passion for PLAY and all things creative and fun for children – like those darling items found on our very popular DIY PLAY Board, but also WE KNOW that you e) likely have no time to do much of this on your own. You, our friends, are busy working, volunteering, serving, training or being trained, cooking, cleaning, carpooling, counseling etc.
So – I’d like to ask for some real honesty in the form of a show of (virtual) hands – HOW MANY OF THOSE PINNED IDEAS HAVE YOU ACTUALLY CREATED? Thought so. Me too. I think I have done 2 in maybe 3 years. (P.S. I know a few of you that actually make many things from Pinterest. You are superhuman, but I still love you).
We are getting excited to visit Celebrating Connections Early Childhood Conference next month and are attending as vendors and speakers. (If you are also going – COME SAY HI!) In preparation, we thought we’d make some hands on examples of how easy it really could be to create some developmentally appropriate (And fun. And cheap) toys!
Plus – my day started like this.
And ended with kiddo #2 cold and crying inside – and eager to get into an activity with me (and we honestly may be here for 3 days!). So – we CREATED some PLAY materials today and decided that at Celebrating Connections, for every copy of 1-2-3 Just Play With Me that someone purchases, their name will be entered into a drawing to win ALL the DIY PLAY TOYS that we create from now until then (Feb 21st). And we decided to extended it to our entire PLAY POSSE – whether you are attending the conference or not. That’s right – to some, this might just be up-cycled scraps, but to those of us who spend hours on the floor covered with hugs and snot – this is the GOOD STUFF! Of course, if you aren’t interested, you can give them away! But if you are who/what we suspect you to be – we are sure the children in your life will be excited for some new adventures through PLAY.
Here’s a few details – It’s really pretty simple.
- Each purchase of 1-2-3 Just Play With Me from today though 2/21/14 counts as 1 entry to the random drawing that will take place on the afternoon of 2/21/14.
- The winner will be notified through email.
- DIY Play Items are pictured below but will be added to all month – check our FACEBOOK PAGE for new additions!
- If the winner is present at the conference or in our local area, we will be happy to deliver these gems in person. If you happen to win and live farther away, we’ll be happy to Paypal invoice you the shipping costs and will ship to you for the most reasonable option possible. (If this means you only want the smaller, lighter goodies – that’s fine too!)
- Childcare Centers that choose to participate in our CHILD CARE incentive will get one entry for each copy purchased.
- Already have a copy of 1-2-3 Just Play With Me yourself? Who do you know who has a little one and would love a practical way to engage and learn about their baby? Customers love these as shower gifts! (and if you win – you can chose to keep the DIY toys or give them with the gift!)
- Lacy & I can’t win – even though we are tempted to keep this stuff for our work and her 3rd kiddo, but everyone else is fair game!
So here’s Round 1 of the potentially free PLAY awesomeness! Enter to WIN today – and even if you don’t win this loot – you will get 3 YEARS of detailed milestones paired with education & purposeful PLAY!